In my quest to empower the blended family in a holistic way, I want to share ways that help me take care of my family because at the end of the day we are a family. In doing so, I wanted to introduce one of my blog favorites; In Jennie’s Kitchen!
Jennifer Perillo is a New York mom, wife, personal chef and food editor who shares some mouth watering recipes on her blogs. I love my NY moms/stepmoms…they totally defy the myth of the rude New Yorker. At any rate, I wanted to share one of her recipes for guilt-free brownies with you! These brownies are made with greek yogurt instead of eggs. They reminded me of a blended family. Like the blended family sometimes there is an ingredient(s) that you might be a little fearful of adding. You might be scared of how it’s going to turn out, but once you mix it with love the end result is a beautiful final product. I hope you’ll try this tasty treat along with many others from Jennie’s Kitchen. She’s making meals easier, one recipe at a time!
PREP: 10 minutes
BAKE: 35 minutes
YIELD: Sixteen 1 1⁄2-inch square brownies (8 kids’, 8 adults’)
* 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
* 3⁄4 tsp baking powder
* 1⁄2 tsp salt
* 6 Tbs butter
* 3 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
* 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
* 5.3-oz container Greek-style fat-free yogurt, such as Fage
* 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
* 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate for 45 seconds. Stir and cook 30 seconds more, or until smooth.
3. Slowly whisk in sugar. Cool slightly. Add yogurt, 1⁄4 cup at a time, whisking as you go. Stir in vanilla. Fold in half of flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and fold in other half.
4. Pour batter into an ungreased 8-inch baking pan. For adults: Sprinkle cherries and pecans over half. Bake 35 minutes. Cool completely, in pan, before cutting (about two hours).
HOW KIDS CAN HELP: Measure and whisk ingredients; spread batter into pan; sprinkle dried cherries and pecans.
PER SERVING: kids 128 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated), 94 mg sodium, 12 mg cholesterol; adults 155 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated), 94 mg sodium, 12 mg cholesterol