TMF Readers, we received the following letter from a concerned reader regarding video game addiction. In the past 10 years, video game addiction has become a mainstay in our society and abroad. Unfortunately, there are some parents who are also addicted which sets the bar in the opposite direction for their children. We at Today’s Modern Family would love to have your thoughts on this fiery debate. Feel free to chime in and offer our reader some of your tips or tools on how you helped to conquer this addiction with your own child(ren).
Dear Advisory Board,
We are concerned about the possible signs of Video Game Addiction in one of our pre-teens.
I have read some things online but hard to know what is reliable. The signs we are seeing are:
- Inordinate fixation with a particular multi-dimensional game.
- Immediate return to the game when there is even a moment free.
- Strong reactions to when the game’s access is limited or removed.
- Inciting conflict with siblings playing the game or using the computer.
- Lethargy in other areas such as homework, personal care, household responsibilities where previously these were done more reliably.
- Sneaky/deceitful behaviour to get to the game.
The list does go on but I am sure you would agree that the signs are worthy of attention.
We are intervening and doing a lot of common-sense things like talking about it with the child, limiting access to a certain amount per day, giving other options for them to occupy their time with. We are seeking guidance locally as well.
We are just concerned we are at the thin edge of the wedge of a growing problem and welcome any input.